About our Iron Doors
Iron Doors- click here for a pdf file of our iron door features
Forged from the highest quality materials and hammered by hand, our exquisite entry doors will beautifully enhance the architectural style of any home or business. Our iron
doors are fabricated at our facility in Monterrey, Mexico. The scrolled iron is hot forged by hand and brought to life by skilled craftsmen that have years of experience handcrafting each door one scroll at a time.
- Features Operable Glass- Operable glass opens independently from the door to provide for easy cleaning of the glass, added security, or just to let in the fresh air. We recommend operable glass windows on all doors that have scrolled ironwork to provide for easy cleaning of the glass.
- Building Codes and Certification- Our doors have passed engineering and product testing to certify them for Design Pressure ratings and impact tolerances. Because every door is custom, we will work with the dealer, architect or builder to understand the specific structural requirements and building codes required for your area. Commercial and public buildings have their own set of access and structural requirements considered in our design process. We will design the doors to meet your specialized needs.
- Florida Certified- Doors by Design is proud to be Florida Certified. Impact glass, outswing configurations, specialized installation, and engineering certification are just a few of the requirements for the most vulnerable coastal areas.
- Built for Security- Fourteen-gauge steel provides the strength necessary to meet the most rigid hurricane ratings without adding unnecessary weight. Our doors come in a 2-inch or 1.5-inch thickness, and we can help you decide on the right thickness for your project. We have 5/8 inch and 1/2 inch size scrollwork available, and our mortised ball-bearing hinges support the weight of the steel doors and provide for easy operation.
- Built for Comfort- Our doors and frames, including the door panels, are injected with Polyurethane foam and we provide insulated tempered or laminated clear glass, or you can choose from many of our additional glass options. The compression weather stripping on the door and operable window frames provide insulation, and the adjustable thresholds offer the ability to keep your opening weather-tight.
- Maintenance-free Beauty- A rust inhibitor and seven-step automotive paint process create a smooth-to-the-touch finish that requires no upkeep.
- Installation Instructions- Click here to read our detailed installation instructions.
Known for our smooth to the touch finishes, each door is hand finished by our artisans in Monterrey, Mexico.
Choose from one of our five finishes. These photos give a close representation of the true appearance, however, each door is a unique work of art, and your computer monitor may distort colors. A color sample can be provided prior to placing your order.
- Our darkest finish compliments exteriors with dark or black accents.
- Our most popular finish has the warmth of wood and compliments most exteriors.
- A rich & vibrant finish that adds the perfect contrast to warm trim colors.
- Dramatically gold, this finish compliments many stone exteriors.
- A great finish for exteriors with gray and white tones.
Touch-Up Instructions (click here for a pdf file of touch up instructions)
Doors are shipped in wood crates from Mexico and protected, but it is not uncommon for doors to suffer some minor scratches in shipping, uncrating, and installing.
Note: These doors are hand-hammered wrought iron and a certain amount of marring or imperfection is to be expected. They are one-of-a-kind works of art and some of the marks add character and authenticity to the door.
Instructions for Minor Scratch Touch-Ups
Shake Touch-up Paint supplied with the door. Dab scratch with touch-up paint and let dry.
Instructions for Refinishing a Larger Section of an Iron Door
Contact Doors by Design for touch up paint.
If there are dents, chips, or dings in the door, you may need to patch the area with automotive bondo. This type of repair should be performed by an individual who has experience working with bondo.
Other Supplies Needed: Gin cloth, medium enamel paint reducer, metal primer,
semi-flat black "Krylon" industrial aerosol spray paint, heavy duty latex gloves, "000" steel wool and "bondo". Medium reducer can be purchased where automotive paint is available.
Prep area for repair and clean well.
- When you have repaired area with bondo and it is smooth with surface area around. Apply flat black industrial "Krylon" as a base coat and let dry.
ApplyING TOUCH UP paint (provided by Doors by Design).
- Mix with the medium paint reducer. Note: This is not a science, so you mix to match – approximately 1 part paint with 9 parts reducer. Make sure to stir regularly.
- While wearing heavy-duty rubber gloves, dip the gin cloth into the paint and reducer mixture, wring out thoroughly, and pat dry with a dry cloth. Dab gin cloth onto a part of the door that will not be conspicuous to test the color. Note: Outside of jamb is typically a good place to test color. Let dry and then add paint or reducer for closest match and try again (the paint dries quickly so it shouldn't take long). Once the paint has been mixed to match the door the bondo area is ready for color paint.
- Tape off the area you are touching up with painter's tape, especially around the hinges. Dab the area with a very light coat (if you dab too much it will lift the black). Let dry and repeat as necessary.
- If additional blending of the treated area to the rest of the door is necessary, use some fine steel wool to blend it all together. Some times we use clear satin polyurethane spray from minwax to blend the satin finish.
Alternate touch up and refinishing your iron door
purchase kRYLON SPRAY PAINT AT SHERWIN WILLIAMS IN OIL RUB BRONZE metallic
CLEAN YOUR DOOR WELL and REFINISH IT WITH THIS PAINT.
For bronze or cinnamon color you will need to use a gin cotton rag and go over the door with the copper solution described above. Once you have the color as you like you can then spray using minwax satin polyurethane to blend in the finish.
Iron Door Consumer Product Warranty
Doors by Design warrants its product to be free from defect in material and workmanship (excluding finish) for a period of FIVE (5) Years from the date of delivery to the original purchaser and will repair or replace any defective product or parts at Doors by Design sole discretion.
Doors by Design warrants product finish to be free from defect for a period of TWO (2) Years from the date of sale to the user and will repair at Doors by Design sole discretion. Since each Doors by Design product is handcrafted, there will be variances in the design, finish and overall appearance. Some designs may dictate that slight variances occur to preserve strength and rhythm of the design, depending upon the configuration of the door, gate, window, garage door, insert or any other product built by Doors by Design.
All products sold by Doors by Design are “one of a kind” and as such contain slight “variations” in form, functionality, and finish. All product finishes may age relative to exposure. The finish is warranted against flaking or peeling from normal wear and tear. Doors may be cleaned with a mild soap and water mixture, as cleaning with harsh chemicals including ammonia based products (e.g. glass cleaner) may damage the finish. Doors installed in coastal areas must be ordered for coastal application and manufactured for such, as specified by Doors by Design. Coastal door hinges require oil on an annual basis. There is a 1 year warranty on the finish for any products installed outside of the continental U.S.
This warranty does not cover: non-Doors by Design products; (i.e. pull-handles, or items added to the unit after the sale); weather stripping, and threshold; products that have not been paid for in full at the time of completion and finish out; problems caused by improper storage, handling, installation, finishing, use, modification, or maintenance. Lack of proper maintenance (we recommend lightly cleaning the door on a monthly basis with a mild soap solution and water to avoid buildup of natural acids that can destroy the faux finish and clear coat; Doors installed in corrosive environments, considered as any area within two miles of a coastline, are only covered for a period of twelve (12) months under this limited warranty.
Damages incurred during shipping are not considered a product defect and therefore are not covered under warranty. Shipping damages must be claimed with the shipper within their specified time limit (typically 3 calendar days). Acts of God; terrorist acts, missiles, accidents, abuse, misuse, including glass breakage or shattering for any reason (Insulated Glass is covered by warranty provided by glass manufacturer; standard warranty is 90 days from delivery date; scratches and defects must be reported to the glass manufacturer within 3 days of delivery.); products subjected to conditions outside their design limitations; minor imperfections in the metal that do not affect the product's structural integrity; minor variations in finish color; normal wear or discoloration of finish. Doors by Design does not consider this to be a defect, but rather a normal process, and over time enhances the naturally aging appearance of the metal and finish); finish problems caused by mechanical damage or abrasion; damage caused by acid rain, salt spray, or other corrosive elements; problems caused by high humidity (condensation and frost); discoloration of non-visible parts; wood rot due to improper maintenance or installation; or problems due to water leakage which is not the fault of the Doors by Design product.
Condensation on doors or windows or any related water damage, which may occur as a result of humidity within the property or changes in the interior/exterior temperatures are not covered under this warranty. Peeling paint or any other damages caused by condensation or improper ventilation are also not covered under this warranty. Water damage caused by spraying the door/window with a pressurized hose is not the responsibility of Condensation on doors or windows or any related water damage, which may occur as a result of humidity within the property or changes in the interior/exterior temperatures are not covered under this warranty. Peeling paint or any other damages caused by condensation or improper ventilation are also not covered under this warranty. Water damage caused by spraying the door/window with a pressurized hose is not the responsibility of Doors by Design. and as such is not covered under this warranty.
Doors by Design, recommends its doors be installed with an adequate overhang to protect the finish against the elements and prevent water infiltration due to unusual precipitation, which may result in water penetration of the door. Adequate overhang is one in which the roof overhang projects a distance from the structure (to be no less than one-half of the elevation difference between the lowest edge of the door and base of the overhangs highest point above the entryway). Due to small variations in steel properties, there may be a tolerance variance of (+/-) 1/8”. In no case does this limited warranty cover the costs of labor required to finish, replace product, elaborate or install trim or other carpentry work that may be required. Replacement parts or products will be the closest equivalent to current product and may not exactly match the original. Parts will be provided at Doors by Design, sole discretion and may or may not include shipping charges. The warranty on any replacement product will extend for the balance of the original warranty period. Doors by Design finishes may vary in places due to the frequency of use. Doors by Design products are HAND-FORGED and therefore will have some rustic attributes or minor imperfections. These minor imperfections contribute to the charm of a HAND-FORGED product and are therefore not covered under warranty. Doors by Design will not be responsible for problems or damages caused by deficiencies in building design, construction, maintenance, failure to install our products in accordance with approved methods, or the use of our products in systems, such as barrier wall systems, which do not allow for the proper management of moisture within the wall system.
NEITHER DOORS BY DESIGN NOR ANY SELLER OF DOORS BY DESIGN PRODUCTS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (WHETHER UNDER THEORIES OF TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, CONTRACT, WARRANTY OR OTHERWISE) WHICH MAY RESULT FROM A PRODUCT DEFECT OR MALFUNCTION. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
THE WARRANTIES STATED HEREIN ARE EXPRESSLY IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES (EXCEPT OF TITLE), EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. DOORS BY DESIGN NEITHER ASSUMES NOR AUTHORIZES ANY OTHER PARTY TO ASSUME FOR IT, ANY OTHER LIABILITY.
IN NO EVENT SHALL DOORS BY DESIGN BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
Water conditions vary across the country. Chemicals and minerals in the water and air can adversely affect the finish. We recommend that you rinse away any traces of soap and gently dry with a clean soft cloth after each use.
Do not use materials such as window cleaners, toothpaste, nail polish remover, or caustic cleaners.
Doors installed in coastal areas require hinge oil on an annual basis. 3-IN-One Multi-purpose oil is recommended.
Total Quality Control-
Doors by Design is totally committed to ensuring that all of our products and services are designed to meet or exceed our customer's expectations. Before any of our products leave the manufacturing facility, they are fully inspected by one of our quality control team members to ensure that the customer receives the perfectly finished unit that was custom made to their exact specification.
Custom Wood Doors
- Wood Choices- Our hardwood doors are made of the finest quality timber including African, Brazillian, Honduran and Indonesian Mahogany, Honduran Cedar, South American Oak, Andean Walnut, Malaga Cherry, Premium Knotty Alder, and Hard Maple. Our signature collection of doors are defined by the use of these beautiful woods and by the combining of exceptional design and construction with the elements of patterned and beveled glass, metal caming, forged iron and unique, decorative hardware.
- Forest Stewardship- We are committed to using wood products that are certified as having been responsibly harvested from well managed forests that adhere to strict environmental and socioeconomic standards and are in accordance with the Forest Stewardship Council (ESC). You can be sure that the timber used to create your door does not come from endangered wood species.